Monday, July 28, 2008

Loving My Enemies

My devotions have been talking a lot about this subject.
Things happening in my life have been dealing a lot around this subject.
So... I'm thinking maybe God is workin' on me and wanting me to really be loving my enemies. If you'd brought up this verse say, about 6 months ago, I would've said, I don't really have any enemies that I know of. Hahahaha. (that's me laughing) God really does have a sense of humor doesn't He? Or maybe it's the devil wanting to tear me straight on down. Well, the devil isn't gonna win, cuz this is just bringing me closer to God and making me work even harder at loving those that aren't really too loving towards me. (hard to believe for some of you, huh???!!!) Just trying to keep it light...
Anyway... so in Luke 6:27 it starts "But I say to you who hear, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you." and then in verse 38 it says "Give, and it will be given to you. They will pour into your lap a good measure - pressed down, shaken together, and running over. For by your standard of measure it will be measured to you in return."
I love that. Now I'm not a theologian or anything like my husband or my brother who I'm sure could tell me a few things about the verses and the whys and hows of their writings but... I just know that in reading them I see and understand that I need to show love, regardless of what the other person is showing towards me.
But let me not say all that without saying... that it is HARD. Really hard. It's hard when it's happening to you. It's hard when it's happening to your husband, your friend, your family member... anybody who is being hurt... it's hard to show the person who's hurting them love. But I know that I have to. Though, I don't understand why people can't just show some understanding and compassion and kindness. Aren't we all supposed to do that? Especially in ministry???????... I guess that's another topic... judging... anyway.........................
Someone once said, I don't know who it was or when it was but... they said, "Kill them with kindness." Oh, another little saying I heard on this was, "keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer." I know that personally I have been praying a lot for certain people. It's a lot harder to be angry at people when you're praying for them. It really is. So with that said, I pray if you have an enemy, and chances are you have at least one, even if you don't know it... love them & pray for them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you may not be a theologian but you surely aren't stupid:) you're my baby girl after all. But yes, it is hard to love your enemies and I know God is doing a work in your life and that will only make you stronger and then down the road be able to help someone else in this area.
Love Mom