Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Inspired by reading

I've been reading a lot lately. Not just the Bible (which I should read more of if I am completely honest), but I have been reading Christian novels and also homeschool materials and parenting books. If you want some good ones, just let me know and I can give you a list of really good ones.
But the one that keeps coming back to me is What She Left For Me by Tracie Peterson. It was just really good. I don't know if I can even put down all my thoughts about what I liked about it. The first chapter alone starts with this woman, in the ministry, comes home from a missions trip and finds her husband has left her for another woman, and she's just found out she's pregnant while on her trip... she is forced to leave her parsonage home and go live with her mother which she has a very distant relationship with. Some parts of this story were similar, some were not, but all the same I was hooked right away and couldn't put the book down.
I really loved the way the author wrote and what she wrote about. I would encourage you to get it and read it. I think it's true of all of us. We all have mothers. Whether we are close to them or not (thankfully I am close to mine), we all have been left something by them. And in turn we are leaving for our children something... what that is for each of us may be different, but we do leave them something.
I am praying constantly that I leave for my kids ultimately the legacy of God's love, truth and everlasting life. I saw in reading this book that when we aren't completely honest with ourselves and with our kids, we create a wall, that sometimes may be very difficult to break down.
I know that more than anything I want my kids to not feel there are any walls, that they can talk to me about anything. I want them to know that the only one who loves them more than me is God. I tell them that all the time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

remember when you didn't like to read and what we did to cure that?? I'm glad you love to read just like me:) Always pass on your books for others to enjoy.

Anonymous said...

I am thankful that I have four
kids who all love to read,very
much,I have always loved to read
as did my mom so it comes down
for sure.
Reading takes you to places that
you may never get to and of course
all the lessons we learn from others as we read.
Enjoy those books .
love ya, grammy