Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Scuttlebutt

My husband just used this word, and someone else just posted this as "the word of the day" so... I'm feeling like I should say something about this word because it keeps popping up!
The word scuttlebutt is a slang word for rumor or gossip. It's derived from the nautical term for the cask used to serve water. I guess that's where they get "around the water cooler" from... interesting.
But... it's an interesting word, one that I'm thinking of saying more often these days... just say it, go ahead, you know you want to.
Most people probably won't know what it means... but let me just share something, without myself being a scuttlebutt.
Proverbs 18:8 and Proverbs 26:22 both say the exact same thing. I LOVE when God does that in scripture. It's happened before... when I've been doing research on something or just reading and I find two verses that are in two different spots, that say the same thing! I'm thinking God obviously wanted us to know for sure we got the point and for sure saw what He was saying.
The New Living Translation puts it this way, "What dainty morsels rumors are, but they sink deep into one's heart."
WOW. Dainty morsels... I think of chocolate chip morsels... sweet and yummy and give me more more more! And isn't that how it is when we're hearing a rumor? We want more more more!
But man, how they sink, and sink deep... and not just in our head God is saying, but in our heart.
So I'm thinking that I should think twice, or maybe even three times about being a scuttlebutt. That maybe that morsel may not be so sweet in the long run, and I'm gonna be hurting someone (in their heart) far greater than I thought.
Is it worth it to be a scuttlebutt?
Psalm 19:14 "Let the words of my mouth and the thoughts of my heart be pleasing to You, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer."

No comments: